Join our team
Full Stack Web DeveloperDesign & Development Team
JH Specialty is looking for a talented Full Stack Developer to join our web team and drive both internal and external client web-based development projects to success. You’ll be working with our team of Designers, SEO/SEM Specialists, Hosting Experts, and Project Managers to build web-based solutions ranging from typical informational websites to advanced e-commerce implementations, intranet applications, and other custom solutions.
We know there are a lot of web development positions out there and they all can seem similar in their requirements, so what exactly are we searching for? To be honest there are a number of industry terms you could potentially throw out to describe this person: “Rock Star”, “Code Ninja”, “Wizard”, etc. The problem is all of those terms have a certain flavor and mean different things to different people, so let’s skip the hyperbole and state what we are looking for in plain English!
- A full-stack developer with extremely strong skills on each level of the stack. This position handles everything from low-level PHP framework development, to database design and construction, to custom front end development.
- At least 7 years of in-the-field development experience working on a wide variety of projects: everything from brochure sites, to full E-commerce implementations, to intranet applications, to custom web apps. Business intelligence and logic has to be part of this experience, as our clients rely on a full understanding of their problems in order for us to develop solutions.
- An influencer who will be a champion of our custom PHP framework (now in its 4th iteration), one who possesses the skills and ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization as well as with clients when needed. Experience and knowledge in frameworks is a must, along with understanding all of the variables that go into the design and development of one (balancing everything from security, to performance and efficiency, to client needs, to business decisions and ROI factors).
- Someone with great efficiency who is used to executing projects in half the time of their peers. This is important! We often have the need to move quickly for clients on large scale projects, and not everyone can “run a 5 minute mile” so to speak.
- Experience! This person has been around long enough to learn a ton at the beginning of their career, think they were masters of their craft after several years, then realized over time that they know nothing, and now would very cautiously describe themselves as experts. This has to “click”, otherwise you may not be in the stage we are looking for!
The individual that fits this role is going to need experience with multiple low-level programming languages, as the position requires the ability jump into any development scenario or problem and figure it out. The nature of our propriety framework’s evolution requires team members who are semi-language agnostic and do not view a new programming language as a barrier. Some related specifics here include:
- Familiar with advanced OOP concepts, such as polymorphism, encapsulation and design patterns (factory, singleton, proxy, etc.).
- As noted above, there is the need for experience with multiple programming languages (demonstrating a higher level knowledge of development); it's recommended that this includes languages typically associated with computer science careers (C/C++, Java, etc.).
- Able to jump into new development environments and adapt quickly by leaning on existing development experience and knowledge. This demonstrates an understanding of low-level development.
- Familiar with development testing concepts, such as test-driven development, unit testing, breakpoints, and other testing solutions.
- Experience with creating database schemas, including optimization of data for speed and maintainability, and abstracting complex data into easily understood structures. This should also include experience with MySQL functions / procedures, triggers, transactions and foreign key constraints. (Has no trouble working through issues that would require 'SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS")
- Familiar with security concepts such as key exchange protocols, hashing algorithms, and encryption algorithms.
Still reading? Maybe JH would be a good fit?
JH Specialty is a Fort Wayne based company looking for someone with a problem-solver mind and the client service talent to support it. Since 1998, the company continues to surpass customer expectations and finds itself in an ongoing growth pattern. We continue to grow because of our diversely talented team and maybe you will be the next addition to the JH family.
JH Specialty has been awarded with various awards over the 18+ years of business including Best Places to Work (9 years in a row), Swagger Award, Indiana Company to Watch, plus various ADDY Awards each year including Silver, Gold, Judge's Choice, and Best of Show.
Wait until you see where you will be working. We are extremely proud of our 11,000 square foot, fun and functional office. Everything you would expect plus some extras like the bean bag room (with WII and Xbox), ping pong table, putting green, poker table, and bar. You won't believe it until you see it. Check out our Google Tour.
- Apply and let us know why you would be the perfect fit.
- We typically conduct introductory phone interviews before moving on to subsequent rounds of formal interviews.
- As with other development positions, you may be asked to perform various coding tests to illustrate your skills – we will be 100% up front with you on expectations for effort required on these tests, as we want to ensure we respect your time.
The position will pay competitively based on experience. Feel free to provide a pay range requested with your application. We are not afraid to discuss compensation. Above and beyond your weekly check we do have a great benefits package with options that include: medical / dental / life / disability insurance, 401k with company match, paid holiday / vacation / and personal time.